Brent Bookwalter joins VeloNews managing editor Chris Case, resident physiologist and coach, Trevor Connor, master’s world hour record holder and Haute Route ambassador Colby Pearce, and three-time gran fondo world champion Bruce Bird to discuss the growing popularity of gran fondos in Canada and the US. In this episode, these cycling experts also share tips for training for your next gran fondo.
In this episode, the guys discuss:
- What the experience of a gran fondo is like and why they are becoming so popular
- The different goals and approaches riders will have at these events
- How to train and prepare for both the one-day and multi-day gran fondos. Hint: When it comes to the training, it’s not as different as you might think.
- The importance of pack skills and sticking within your comfort level
- Nutrition and hydration for the event (and why I love cookies so much)
- Final preparation in the week leading into the event
- Strategies for both racing and riding a fondo, as well as multi-day Haute Route style events