What is Pop Up Binge (PUB)?
A SELF SUPPORTED ride that forms with very little notice with a Show & Go start where riders choose their own adventure routes. We will spread out and enjoy all that the WNC Cycling scene has to offer.
- No registration fee (please contribute to SAHC instead)
- No mass start.
- No compact groups.
- No route markings.
- No SAG support.
- No Rest Stops.
- Brent & Jamie Bookwalter? YES! (Brent, Jamie & Waylon will return to Asheville in time to quarantine, spend some time with family, and get ready to Binge.)
- Road, Gravel, AND MTB route options? YES!
- Re-connect with The Binge community while keeping everyone safe? YES!
- Checkpoints? YES!
- Prizes? YES!
- Raffle? YES! (hosted virtually by Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy)
Saturday December 5, 2020
Start: Any time after 9:00 AM
Finish: Any time before 4:30 PM
All routes begin and end at the Old Fort Ride House where there is ample parking. You can choose to start and finish your ride from the Ride House or anywhere along your chosen route. There will be no mass start.
There are 8 routes to choose from including road, gravel, and MTB. Some routes are long and challenging, some are short and sweet, and some fall somewhere in the middle.
You may choose to ride one of the routes provided, combine elements of more than one route, or make up your own route.
The routes will not be marked. There will be no rest stops along the routes. There will be no SAG drivers roving the routes. There will be no first responders stationed on the routes.
Please follow all state and local COVID safety restrictions that are in effect at the time of the ride. Bring a face mask and wear your face mask if you go inside or encounter a situation where you cannot maintain six feet of social distance from others.
You will be riding self-supported in December in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The weather may be mild, sunny, cool, wet, dry, or very cold. Weather conditions often change quickly in the mountains. We have had snow before.
You will decide if you are capable of riding, and if you have the proper gear to ride in the weather conditions. If you normally avoid riding in winter weather, and usually ride the trainer in the winter, the PUB is not a good fit for you.
Riders can compete for prizes by taking photos of checkpoints along the routes. A list of checkpoints will be announced via email to all registered participants at 9:00 AM on Saturday December 5, 2020.
There are three ways to share your checkpoint images with Jen Billstrom (Jen@VeloGirlRides.com):
- Email a link to your Strava ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email a link to your RideWithGPS ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email your photos directly to Jen (please include all photos in one email)
- Bonus entries can be accumulated by posting images to social media using #PUB2020 and tagging @bookwalterbinge
Each checkpoint photo equals one entry into a drawing for prizes! There is no limit to the number of checkpoint images you can share, but duplicate images of the same checkpoint will not count.
Prize winners will be posted on the Binge website within one week of the event. Jen will contact each winner by email with instructions for claiming prizes.
The PUB is free, and we encourage participants to contribute to our long-time charity partner, Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy to help continue their work in preserving land for recreation.
Complete the registration form and you will receive information about the PUB and on the morning of the event, a list of the checkpoints.
Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy is hosting a virtual raffle that includes prizes like:
- Team Ineos Jersey autographed by Tao Geoghegan Hart
- Rapha Canyon-Sram Jersey autographed by Hannah Barnes
- Industry Nine hubset
- Kitsbow Cycling Apparel Prize Packs for Men and Women, including the venerable Icon shirt
- HyperIce swag
- Giordana Cycling FR-C Pro Kits for Men and Women
- And more items arriving daily…
Lunch & Beer
Food and beer will be available for purchase after your ride at Hillman Brewing in Old Fort.
And finally, words cannot fully express our gratitude for the support of our Binger Community. We miss engaging with you and we look forward to riding with you in a socially-distanced-but-finally-together-kind-of-way.
*We are extremely grateful that the Warren Wilson College staff and students who support the Binge are eager to host our event in the future.