What is the Pop Up Binge (PUB)?
A SELF SUPPORTED ride that forms with very little notice with a Show & Go start where riders choose their own adventure routes. We will spread out and enjoy all that the WNC Cycling scene has to offer.
- No fee to participate (but registration is required for prize drawings)
- No route markings.
- No SAG support.
- No Rest Stops.
- Brent, Jamie and Waylon Bookwalter? YES!
- Road, Gravel, AND MTB route options? YES!
- Celebrate the end of your ride with food and beer? YES!
- Checkpoints? YES!
- Prizes? YES!
- Raffle? YES! (hosted by Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy)
Saturday October 30, 2021
Start Time: 9:00 AM (or whenever you choose)
Finish Time: Up to you
All routes begin and end at the Old Fort Ride House where there is ample parking. You can choose to start and finish your ride from the Ride House or anywhere along your chosen route.
There are 6 routes* to choose from including road, gravel, and MTB. Some routes are long and challenging, some are short and sweet, and some fall somewhere in the middle. *More routes to be added including a challenging road route crafted by Brent.
You may choose to ride one of the routes provided, combine elements of more than one route, or make up your own route.
The routes will not be marked. There will be no rest stops along the routes. There will be no SAG drivers roving the routes. There will be no first responders stationed on the routes.
Riders can compete for prizes by taking photos of checkpoints along the routes. A list of checkpoints will be announced via email to all registered participants at 9:00 AM on ride day.
There are three ways to share your checkpoint images with Jen Billstrom (Jen@VeloGirlRides.com):
- Email a link to your Strava ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email a link to your RideWithGPS ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email your photos directly to Jen (please include all photos in one email)
- Bonus entries can be accumulated by posting images to social media using #PopUpBinge2021 and tagging @bookwalterbinge
Each checkpoint photo equals one entry into a drawing for prizes! There is no limit to the number of checkpoint images you can share, but duplicate images of the same checkpoint will not count.
Deadline: Submit your checkpoint images no later than midnight on Sunday.
Prize winners will be posted on the Binge website within one week of the event. Jen will contact each winner by email with instructions for claiming prizes.
Registration for the PUB is open. The TuneUp is sold out.
Tickets for the One Six Dun Party are on sale and they are almost sold out.
The Bookwalter Binge PUB has raised over $35,000 for Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy and this year, there are more ways than ever to participate in the fundraising effort:
- Make a contribution when you register for the Pop Up Binge – funds go directly to SAHC
- Participate in the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy Binge Raffle – tickets are on sale now
- Grab some outdoor gear made by Kitsbow. Half of the profit from this Binge/Kitsbow collaboration will be contributed to SAHC. (Binge t-shirts to be added to the collection soon)
Lunch & Beer
At the end of your ride, Kitsbow will treat you to a free beverage (craft beer, iced tea, coffee, etc…). Grab & Go food, espresso, and specialty coffee drinks will be available for purchase.
A more substantial lunch can be found:
- Foothills Local Meats grilling station located onsite at the Old Fort Ride House
- just around the corner at Hillman Beer (pro-tip – you can get take out food AND beer and dine on any of the picnic tables)