PUB Binger Checkpoint List
- Airplane or Whirly Gig
- Andrew’s Geyser (wet or dry)
- CCC Monument
- Chicken (live or metal)
- Conopholis Americana
- Country Store
- Covered Bridge
- Cow, Pig or Goat
- Curtis Creek (the creek)
- Don Rimx Mural on the farm
- Eastern Continental Divide sign
- Fonta Flora sign
- Fonta Flora State Trail –> Old Fort trail blaze
- Fonta Flora State Trail –> Ridgecrest trail blaze
- Heartbreak Ridge trail sign
- Horse (extra point for a horse mural)
- Kitsuma trail head sign
- Lake made famous in the film Dirty Dancing
- Map of future trails planned for Old Fort
- Memorial to people of color who constructed the railroad between Old Fort and Ridgecrest
- Mountain Gateway Museum
- Newberry Creek trail sign where hike-only portion begins
- Old Fort Picnic Area Pisgah National Forest sign
- Pint or can of Hillman Brewing beer
- Quilt Square on barn or building
- Save Our School Mural in Old Fort
- Screen shot of confirmation of email sign up for G5 Collective newsletter
- Star Gap trail sign
- Top of Heartbreak Ridge trail
- Train trestle
- View from Point Lookout
- Witch on a broom
- Youngs Ridge Trail sign
Riders can compete for prizes by taking photos of checkpoints along the routes. A list of checkpoints will be announced via email to all registered participants at 9:00 AM on Saturday October 30, 2021.
There are three ways to share your checkpoint images with Jen Billstrom (Jen@VeloGirlRides.com):
- Email a link to your Strava ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email a link to your RideWithGPS ride with photos loaded and activity status set to “public” to Jen
- Email your photos directly to Jen (please include all photos in one email)
Bonus entries can be accumulated by posting images to social media using #PopUpBinge2021 and tagging @bookwalterbinge
Each checkpoint photo equals one entry into the prize drawing.
Each social media #PopUpBinge2021 and @bookwalterbinge tagged post equals one entry into the prize drawing.
There is no limit to the number of checkpoint images you can share, but duplicate images of the same checkpoint will not count.
Deadline: Submit your checkpoint images no later than midnight on Sunday October 31, 2021.
Prize winners will be posted on the Binge website within one week of the event. Jen will contact each winner by email with instructions for claiming prizes.
The G5 Trail Collective is working with the Pisgah National Forest, community leaders, businesses, and advocates to improve and expand trail access on public lands surrounding Old Fort. This working group includes People on the Move for Old Fort, the Grandfather Ranger District, Blue Ridge Traveler, Camp Grier, Kitsbow, and other local leaders.
Over the last 6 months, we have worked with the community to craft a proposal for the Old Fort Trails Project. The project area adds new trails for hiking, mountain biking, and equestrian users from Catawba Falls, to Mill Creek, to Jarrett Creek, and Curtis Creek in the Pisgah National Forest.
Approximately 42 miles of new sustainably constructed trails are proposed to improve community connectivity, reduce barriers to access, and support environmental and social sustainability. The new trails will be supported by 2 new trailhead parking areas. Approximately 1 mile of trail relocations are proposed to increase maintainability of the existing trail system.